Saturday, August 27, 2016

Colorado - Sand, Plains and Prairie Dogs

From Oklahoma, I cross north into Colorado and the town of Trinidad, along the historic Santa Fe Trail.  There's a nice small visitors center with interesting displays on the local culture and history.

Ouch - poor cattle!  But the heart one is cute.



I take some time to peruse the town newspaper...hmmmm....



 Then it's on to the Great Sand Dunes National Park.  Millions of years ago there was a great inland sea here.  When it dried up, sand deposits were left which, over time, the wind built up into these great dunes, the tallest 750 feet above the desert floor in the San Luis valley, west of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.




A sunrise hike up the dunes - it was hard going uphill, I can tell you!  But what a great spot for breakfast.
 



See the hummingbird?

Now do you see the hummingbird?  The campground hosts gave ma a feeder that another camper left behind, so now I've got company for breakfast and dinner!
 Here's the start of a 3.7 mile one-way, literally uphill 1700 feet all the way, to Mosca Pass.  Well, might as well see what's on the other side of the mountains...



Oh, just kill me now.



An evening storm came up that turned the sky into a palette of colors, and made the dunes seem so ethereal.



Time to say goodbye to the sand dunes and head for the hills...well, mountains.  Cheyenne Mountain State Park near Colorado Springs, where I'll be meeting my friend Susan, who'll be joining me for two weeks.
Walsenberg, a town of shops and businesses, and where I got some delicious Colorado peaches.


There's little Aflo, at the foot of those big hills!


Really?
Bunny came to visit me for breakfast, right at my campsite!


This little cottontail refused to get off the trail!



No comments:

Post a Comment