Sunday, October 23, 2016

Utah - Zion National Park

Scenic Byway 12 is truly that - scenic.  My early morning departure from Bryce in the early morning, though somewhat chilly, has brought me an unexpected surprise...and I think I surprise them, too!



Scenic Byway 12 is another wonderful road through this area and easy to drive.  It ends at 89, which I take south to Zion.  It is by far the most crowded of Utah's "Mighty 5" national parks I've been to so far, due to the perfect fall weather.  My photos don't show the throngs of people waiting for park shuttle buses, heading up the Virgin River Narrows, lined up waiting (3 hours!!!) for camping spots.






A hike up to the middle Emerald Pool rewards me with a nice reflection
The local mule deer are not bothered by the crowds who gather to watch and take photos


A Riverside Ramble with Park Ranger Jay Snow, one of the most enthusiastic, entertaining, informative and fun rangers I've ever met.  He proves you don't have to walk up the Virgin River to see both the expansive and the tiny beauty of this place and that it's about the journey, not the destination.



The seed pod of a datura, or jimson weed



These seem to be the flowers of the large sage





Zion has a wonderful 2 mi. paved bike/hike trail right up the center of the valley

As night falls, my two days here are nearing their end, and as the moon grows full, I'll be heading south to St. George for a week of sheer laziness, then east again.


No comments:

Post a Comment