Wednesday, November 2, 2016

AZ - Grand Canyon National Park

Since I was in the neighborhood, I decided to add on a couple of days at the south rim of this amazing place and I'm so glad I did.  The campground was convenient to the visitor's center, there were plenty of shuttle buses to take you anywhere in the park, and a good bike trail so I could get around Grand Canyon Village easily.

I started at the Desert Watchtower, designed by Mary Elizabeth Colter, who designed many of the Park's buildings, based on Native American architecture and incorporating many of their legends and symbols.






And just outside from the rooftop, there in all its glory, the Grand Canyon





The next morning, I catch a shuttle bus at 6 a.m.  to ride out and see the sunrise illuminate the canyon near Hermit's Rest.








Grand Canyon Village has several Lodges, art studios, a visitor's center in the old general store, and even the original train station!










Willow twig horses more than 500 years old!


 I attended a wonderful ranger talk on the condor; with a wingspan of 9 feet, it's our largest bird.  Unfortunately this was as close as I got to seeing the real thing.













No comments:

Post a Comment